As many of you will be aware, there is a big push from a number of countries and business and industry groups for decisions at COP 17 in Durban South Africa which expand the global carbon market and opportuities for offsetting rich country emissions through carbon trading. These include proposals for new ‘sectoral trading’ mechanisms, soil carbon markets, and carbon market finance for REDD.
Friends of the Earth International has produced a short briefing for climate justice campaigners and activists summarising why carbon trading is a false solution to the climate crisis and outlining the key threats from these new proposals and why we must resist them.
The briefing is available online here:
Spanish and French translations will be available shortly.
- RT @NaomiAKlein: Climate change is an existential threat that calls for extraordinary + heroic acts of resistance. Exhibit A: http://t.c ... 4 years ago
- @nodashforgas we support you! #edf is a corporate bully, could set dangerous precedent for protest in the uk. 4 years ago
- EDF SUING CLIMATE ACTIVISTS FOR £5 MILLION - PROTESTERS FACE LOSING HOMES wp.me/p1VYrj-dv 4 years ago
- Open letter to COP18 Delegates from Bill McKibben, Nnimmo Bassey & Pablo Soló n bit.ly/11baxJ6 4 years ago
- SADC peoples summit – Maputo 13-16 aug bit.ly/Rg6uDC 5 years ago